Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Author's Den - Cathryn Fox

A ‘10 Questions’ Interview with Author: Cathryn Fox

Cathryn Fox never thought she’d be writing romance novels. After graduating from university with a business degree, she started working in the Finance Department of Environment Canada. After a few years, she left that job when her husband, a meteorologist, was posted up north. When she ran out of books to read, she decided to write one. Now, an award-winning author, Cathryn has written books for Ellora’s Cave, Avon Red-Harper Collins, NAL-Penguin Group, Spice Brief-Harlequin, and Samhain Publishing. When Cathryn isn’t writing in her small corner office in her home in Eastern Canada, you can find her relaxing with her husband, two teenage children, and Chocolate Labrador Retriever.

SMM. Welcome, Cathryn, to Still Moments Magazine!

CF. Thank you so much for having me!

1. Tell us a little more about yourself and how you began your writing career.

CF. Well, I’m a mom, wife, sister, daughter and friend. I love dogs, sunny weather, anything chocolate (I never say no to a brownie), pizza and red wine. I have two teenage kids that keep me busy with their activities. I can never find balance, am always trying to find time to go to the gym, can’t keep up with emails, facebook or twitter, and try to write books my readers will love. It’s hard to say when my writing career actually began. I’ve always made up elaborate tales. As a child my friends used to call me a big fat liar because of all the crazy stories I used to tell them. Little did we know that I was just practicing and honing my craft. I sat down at tried my hand at my first book some seventeen years ago. Then my children came along and I put it to the side and concentrated on raising them. When they went off to school, I had a choice. Go back to finance, or try my hand at writing again. As I was contemplating that, I turned on the television to see the talented Deborah Hale and wonderful Tory Leblanc in an interview talking about books and the local romance chapter. It was a sign! So here I am today, still making up stories and still honing my craft.

2. Who in your life has been the most influential in your journey toward being an author?

CF. My daughter, who has always encouraged me, and pushed me when those rejection letters were piling up.

3. You have several books coming out over the next few months, how do you manage a busy writing career and maintain a regular family life?

CF. Regular? I’m not sure that’s the word I’d choose! It’s important not to let any job take over you life. I work during the day from 8am until the kids get home at 4. Then we all chat over a sit down dinner. (The crock pot is my friend). After dinner there is homework and activities. My son, who plays many sports, drives now so that really frees up a lot of my time.

4. Can you tell us about the heart shaped sticky note that is stuck to your computer?

CF. Ah, yes. Many years ago when my daughter was eight she found me banging my head on my desk in frustration. She wrote ‘I love you because you naver give up’ on a heart shaped sticky note and stuck it to my computer. When I told her she spelled ‘never’ wrong she scribbled it out. So now the note says, I love you because you give up! But I love it so much I won’t let her change it.

5. What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing?

CF. I love watching my son play soccer, and my daughter and I love to shop and bake together (she’s a much better cook than I am). I don’t work in the evenings, unless it’s something urgent, and make it a point to set aside time for family. My husband and I love movies so we like to spend our evening watching our favorite flicks!

6. You have a multitalented writing style with novels written in many genres such as contemporary, futuristic, and paranormal. Do you prefer a particular genre and how do you train your imagination to slip out of one genre and into another?

CF. I love all genres, really. There is more freedom in paranormal because you get to make things up! I keep my contemporaries light and humorous and my paranormals dark so that helps me switch from one to another.

7. Can you tell us about your recent February release with Ellora’s Cave, Knocking on Demon’s Door?

CF. After writing a long book over many months, I like to mix it up and write a shorter novella. This helps me keep things fresh and that’s how Knocking on Demon’s Door came along.
Blurb: Demon hunter Michelle Simms never thought she'd be working side by side with a demon during her undercover assignment at the Canadian ski resort. Blake Ashen might only be half-demon, but he exudes full demon charisma and charm. Yet Michelle wants to discover why so many women are either dying on the slopes or going missing from the posh resort, and she has no choice but to form an alliance with the demon who is having a seriously bad affect on her libido. Forced to pretend they are lovers, the two get up close and personal and Michelle begins yearning for a taste of him. In no time at all, the woman in her overrules the cop and she finds herself knocking on a demon's bedroom door, where she discovers the man is far more potent than the demon. When Michelle gets drugged and dragged to an underground cavern where unsuspecting women become victims, will her trust in Blake prove her damnation, or her salvation?

8. You definitely have the steamiest novel covers and your stories have been described as “Red Hot, Erotic, Sizzling, and Sexy”. Do you have a say in your cover art and where do you find the inspiration for your passionate stories?

CF. I do get to give input into my covers, but in the end it’s really up to the art department, and what they feel is best for marketability. I have been very lucky though, and really do love my covers! My husband tells everyone my inspiration comes from him . But it can strike at any time, from a dream, a television show or commercial to a simple conversation. I do love to listen in on other peoples conversations. So if you see me at a restaurant, you’ve been warned. :-)

9. Can you tell us about your External Pleasure Series?

CF. I LOVE this series. The idea just struck me one day. I thought, what would happen if the The Stepford Wives met Underworld and the series was born.
The first book, INSTICTIVE is a shape shifting panther story. The second book IMPULSIVE May 2010 is a werewolf story, and the third INDULGENT, January 2011 is about witchcraft.

10. What are you currently working on?

CF. I’m currently working on ENTER SANDMAN my second Urban Fantasy novel for Tor/Macmillan. I’m writing these books with my brilliant writing partner Paula Altenburg, and they are coming out under the name Taylor Keating. Website coming soon. The first book, GAME OVER will be an October 2010 release.
Blurb: Be careful what you wish for...Because sometimes legends are based on truths. And fairy tales don't always end in happily-ever-after. Just ask gamer girl River Weston. When she unwittingly sells her soul for her latest creation to work, only one man—Guardian, Chase Hawkins—has the ability to help her buy it back. But will the price they have to pay pit Earth against a dangerous Dark Lord, or will they discover a way to reclaim her soul and save her own world before it's...Game Over.

SMM. Is there anything else you’d like to add and where can we read more about you.

CF. You can find out more about me at www.cathrynfox.com or come chat with me at my writers loop: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wicked_writers/

No comments: