Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Author's Den - Jennifer Daiker

Jennifer Daiker is a twenty-five year old writer who has blonde moments that keep her memorable. She spends her days dispensing virtual cupcakes on twitter, writing novels, and blogging her little heart out.

1. Tell us how you began your writing career.
Two years ago I watched the movie Julie & Julia and was inspired. I’d always had books and wrote in journals when I was younger but it didn’t hit me until I watched the movie that I wanted to be a writer. I started a blog the day I first started writing and thirty days later I’d finished my first novel. Since then I never stopped.

2. Who in your life has been the most influential in your journey toward being an author?
My husband. If it weren’t for his constant encouragement I wouldn’t have the courage to persevere through all the rough patches we go through as writers.

3. Is there anything you find challenging in your writing?
I think everyone has their weak spots. Being so new I’m sure I have plenty but the one I notice the most are repetitive words. They’re like candy, you can never have just one!

4. Where do you find the inspiration for your stories?
I’m a sponge, anywhere and everywhere. It truly depends on my mood. I don’t always wait for inspiration to find me either, sometimes I seek it out by traveling or trying something new! I love being a writer, it’s an excuse to research anything… from decorating cupcakes to learning floral design, it’s amazing!

5. When writing, do you have a particular routine you like to follow?
I’m what I call a free writer. When I feel it, I go in, plot it, write it, then I edit. It’s a one stop shop. It seems to be the only way I work!

6. What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing?
Decorating! I have always loved interior design and architecture. When I don’t have my head in a book or in front of my laptop you’ll find me drawing floor plans and the outsides of homes or deciding a new 
paint color for an empty bedroom. The fun never ends!
Getting to know Jennifer:
1. What word best describes your writing style? Comedic
2. What is your favourite colour? Orange
3. What is your favourite pleasure food? Roast and vegetables
4. What is your favourite time of day? Mid-afternoon
5. What is your favourite season? Fall
6. What is your favourite book? The Red Heels by Robert D. San Souci
7. Who is your favourite author? Sharon Shinn (The Truth Tellers Tale)
8. What is your favourite television show? How about Network: Bravo TV
9. Who is your favourite actor? Ryan Gosling (for his Hotness)
10. Who is your favourite actress? Sandra Bullock (for her Awesomeness)
11. Who is your favourite musical artist (band)? Radical Face
12. What is your favourite song? Welcome Home by Radical Face
13. What song title best describes you? Breakable by Ingrid Michaelson - to be broken and rebuilt, just beautiful. It’s how I would explain the ways of a writer. You have to feel broken for your character and reader to feel the emotion.
14. What is your favourite comfort clothing attire? My vintage tees and jeans.
15. What word best describes your personality? Care free, funny, and caring.
Titles by Jennifer Daiker with Still Moments Publishing:
Snowbanked Snowbound Hearts (Jan. 2012 Anthology)
Latte Love Valentine Delights Be Mine (Feb. 2012 Anthology)
When Love Aligns Single Short, March 2012

1 comment:

Maggie Devine said...

Wow, Jennifer - 30 days to write a novel. Well done you. I love the sprint and giving yourself timelines.