Friday, February 8, 2013

Laura's Lair - January 2013

Laura's Lair - January 2013

      I am sitting and writing my column at the last minute, racking my brain, waiting for inspiration to strike.
     Then Friday (Dec 14) happened - one of the worst school shootings in US history. The one that killed 26 people. Twenty of them being small children.
     My youngest is six. That’s the same age as most of those innocent children that died. That thought shakes me to the core.
     I think of the families missing loved ones this holiday season. There are presents bought that won’t be opened and stockings that are hung for people that won’t be there. My heart aches and I have shed so many tears for people that I don’t even know. I have hugged my children tighter and said numerous prayers, thanking God that they are safe.
     There’s a lot of anger and rage at what happened.  And a lot of finger pointing. You have people saying we need better gun control. Then there are those that say that the teachers should have been armed. I have heard people blame violent video games. Many say that lack of mental health care is the issue.
     I know that when something like this happens, people lash out. It’s human nature to place blame to try to make sense of things. 
     I am not so sure now is the time to discuss these things. Do I think they need to be addressed? Yes! But right now, we need to grieve and let the dust settle. We need to be there for the community that will never be the same. We need to remember the heroic teachers that gave their lives for their students. Most of all, we need to remember the angels that were taken away from this world way too soon.

Laura is a working mom of two that loves to read and write. She lives in Northeast Wisconsin with her family and can be found sharing more of her life at http://notjust9to5.com.

 

No comments: