Friday, June 16, 2017

After The Review ~ Family of His Own

Between The Pages ~ After The Review
A conversation with the Author 
Family of His Own by Catherine Lanigan

What one thing would readers be surprised to know about you? 
I have to say that as the years go on, I have to work at slowing myself down to meet my characters at their hearts and tell their story. Probably because I work a full time job and write, those of us who live this kind of chaotic schedule can relate. So, to get in the zone I do weird things. Clean out closets…then I get only a third of the way through the process, the ideas hit and the closet sits half clean, and half messed up. Drawers also suffer from my creativity in much the same way.

Where did the inspiration for Family of His Own come from? 
Since the first book in The Shores of Indian Lake series when I first introduced Isabelle and Scott, I’ve wanted to write Scott’s story of his unrequited love for Isabelle, the passionate, obsessed artist. I know what it’s like to be “in my creative zone”. But Isabelle takes her need for distance and space to an unhealthy level. I’ve seen this kind of behavior so many times and I wanted to explore it. At the same time, quite honestly, I cried for Scott so many times during the writing, I was afraid I’d short out my laptop. But then, I’m a weeper. I admit it. So there. I’ve said it.

What was your favorite chapter or part, to write and why?’ 
Hands down, it was the scene when Scott meets five year old Bella and eighteen month old Michael for the first time, during a drug raid on New Year’s Eve. The entire set up is unlikely, and poignant. When Bella turns to Scott and mistakes him for an angel similar to the one played by Cary Grant in the movie, “The Bishop’s Wife”, I still get chills. By the way, this entire scene came to me in a dream and I got up and wrote it immediately.

Where will the next book in the Shores of Indian Lake take us?
Next up is HIS BABY DILEMMA. It releases in December. This one takes us back to the Barzonni family. Mica Barzonni is the last of the handsome, brilliant and somewhat flawed Barzonni sons of Gina Barzonni. Recently involved in an accident, Mica has lost the use of his left arm. He must come to terms not only with his new life, but he must reevaluate all the decisions he’s made to this point. What he hasn’t bargained for is the return to Indian Lake of Grace Railson, Louise Railson’s stunning and talented fashion designer niece, straight from Paris, who shoves a six month old baby into Mica’s good arm and announces that this child is his.

Are you working on a new writing project? 
I’ve got several more stories I’m researching and plotting for more visits to The Shores of Indian Lake. After all, Mrs. Beabots hasn’t revealed all HER secrets yet, now has she?

Where can we find you and your books online?
All my books are available at:
www.harlequin.com  www.amazon.com  www.bn.com  Kobo, iBooks, and my new web site www.catherinelanigan.com will give you links to all the on-line retailers. Happy Reading, everyone!

2 comments:

Catherine Lanigan said...

Darlene,
I can't thank you enough for this wonderful award of being YOUR top pick for the month! I'm still unpacking after RWA and writing like crazy, but it is so lovely to take a breath and read your publication. It's great fun and so informative. I can't wait to see if anyone actually tries my Chocolate Mousse Pie. It's a showstopper. God bless you, Catherine


Cathy Shouse said...

Great interview! Love that you clean closets for inspiration. Wondering what kind, if any, research you will do on the one about the French designer arriving in Indiana with a baby. Your stories are great.