From Grandma Nancy's Kitchen
Homespun Potato Salad
For my family, the month of May marks the official beginning of picnic season. With two family birthdays to celebrate, a May holiday weekend, and the ... hopeful ... advent of warmer weather, nothing is more fun than a family outing to our local park. My sons take care of the “meat” portion of the menu, my daughters-in-law the desserts and snacks, and I get the honor of making the season’s first potato salad.
Ingredients (based on a six-person helping)
10 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (as close to equal size as possible)
6 extra-large eggs
1 small red, green and yellow pepper (I use the mini-peppers), seeded and chopped
3 ribs of celery, finely chopped
2 large or 3 medium dill pickles, finely chopped
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons pickle juice
½ cup good quality mayonnaise (I prefer Hellmans)
½ cup avocado ranch dressing
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
• Do not peel the potatoes. Score the potatoes around the center (easier to remove skin) and boil in salted water until tender.
• While potatoes are cooking also boil eggs and then cool to room temp before peeling
• After potatoes have cooled, peel away skin and cut into ¼ inch chunks
• Chop eggs and place in large mixing bowl with potato chunks
• Add chopped pepper, celery, dill pickles and onions
• In a separate bowl, mix together the dressing ingredients.
• Pour dressing over potato mixture and stir to combine. Add additional salt. If more dressing is required, add additional mayo and ranch dressing in equal amounts
• Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
• Just before serving, remove wrap, stir to re-combine, and sprinkle with paprika.
Grandma Nancy: Award-winning author, Nancy Fraser, has published twenty-seven novels/novellas over the course of her 20+ year career. When not writing (which is almost never), Nancy splits her free time between her five grandchildren. She’s also an avid traveler with Las Vegas being her favorite destination. Nancy lives in Atlantic Canada where she enjoys the relaxed pace and colorful people. www.nancyfraser.ca
When reporter, Kate Brogan, and her ex-husband vice cop, Matthew Kelly, both end up investigating local psychic Olga Limas, Kate realizes the fluff piece of journalism she'd anticipated might just turn into something more. Out to debunk the woman's claim of being able to guide seance participants into the future, both hers and Matt's skepticism is put to the test when they find themselves transported to 2065. Certain the only one they can truly trust is each other, they form an alliance that quickly stirs more intimate and loving memories. Just as they are about to be shown the way home, a presidential assassination puts their lives, and their chances for a "happily ever after," in jeopardy.