Wednesday, November 14, 2018

A Writer's Words - My Favorite Indulgence is Doing Nothing

Hocus Pocus and All That 
My Favorite Indulgence is Doing Nothing 
By Maureen L. Bonatch 

What’s my favorite indulgence? This is a broad topic. I could talk about how I love a glass of wine at the end of a long day, or occasionally a nip of good tequila (yes, there is a difference!). Or I could mention the tub of marshmallow crème in the cupboard that never seems to make it into anything baked but is always coming up empty.

Perhaps I could tell you again how writing is my favorite escape, or how the only way that I can slow down is to watch a movie, but I won’t. Instead I’m going to talk about how indulgent it feels to do nothing.

When Multitasking Goes Too Far

Multitasking is a good thing, right? We brag about it, put it on our resume and pride ourselves on how many things we can do at the same time—or perhaps that’s just me. Sure, there are good things about multitasking like the feeling of crossing off that endless To-Do list as we complete task after task. Because we all have that To-Do list each day. Whether it’s written down, on your phone beeping to remind you what you must do next or just running through your mind, there’s always something to do next. Because how often do you see someone just doing nothing?

I don’t know about you, but if I’m not doing something, planning to do something, or finishing something I feel a little guilty. That To-Do list isn’t getting any smaller and it’s whispering in my ear louder than the marshmallow crème in the cupboard.

Don’t Fear The Nothing

Like the overwhelm I’ve mentioned before, the nothing seems to be another threat to most people. If you look around when you’re waiting in line, no one is just waiting. They’re on their phones, or looking through the magazines or…something. It’s as if standing quietly and observing the world, the moment, is somehow abnormal. We should be doing something, right?

Even now as I finish this blog the night before it’s due, since I’m also on two other blogs tomorrow, I’m waiting for my fingernails to dry as I type.

It’s become almost as if doing just one thing isn’t enough.

Indulging in Nothing

Many times, when I think I’ll do nothing but sit and wait for the commercial to finish instead of getting on my phone or laptop, I end up falling asleep. It’s as if my body grabs the opportunity to fuel up from the exhaustion of the hamster wheel we call life. But occasionally I can do it.

I can sit quietly with my family and just notice how the years seem to fly by as we multitask our way through every day. Or I’ll sit outside on a summer night and listen to the crickets. When I can achieve this, it’s like a delicious indulgence of just being. Not thinking about what’s next, but enjoying what’s now.

How Often Do You Just Do Nothing?

Originally published on www.MaureenBonatch.com 

© 2018 Maureen L. Bonatch All Rights Reserved
Maureen Bonatch grew up in small town Pennsylvania and her love of the four seasons—hockey, biking, sweat pants and hibernation—keeps her there. While immersed in writing or reading paranormal romance and fantasy, she survives on caffeine, wine, music, and laughter. A feisty Shih Tzu keeps her in line. http://www.maureenbonatch.com/

No comments: