Friday, November 16, 2018

On The Menu - Christie’s Butternut Squash Soup

From Brenda's 'I Hate To Cook' Kitchen 
Christie’s Butternut Squash Soup 

Welcome back to my I Hate To Cook Kitchen. A couple of years ago, FDW and I tried an experiment, an adventure, with my son and his family. We bought a small family farm. After three years, our adventure ended, and we all went on to other lives. But it was fun and enlightening while it lasted. We each had duties on the farm, and you might guess mine was not cooking. FDW and my daughter-in-law were head cooks. My son was the farmer, and I helped out. I did love harvesting the food and eating fresh. One of my favorite recipes for fall was my DIL’s Butternut Squash soup. That’s what I’m sharing today. It’s rich and creamy. Even if you aren’t a squash fancier, you just might like this if you season it to your taste. 

Christie’s Butternut Squash Soup
(this fed four adults, one child, and we had leftovers-our butternut were large) 

Ingredients:
Two large butternut squash, cut in half and seeds scooped out
½ large onion, diced
(note here: If you want to include some other veggies you may. Christie added a small amount of fresh spinach)
Rice milk (or any milk product you prefer) as needed for a soup consistency
5-6 slices of bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled
Spices to your taste: Salt, Curry powder, Cinnamon, Black pepper

Bake squash at 400 degrees for one hour and fifteen minutes. Baste with butter occasionally. In a pan, cook the onion and any other veggie you might like in a couple of tablespoons of butter. Scoop the cooked squash out of the peeling. Puree cooked butternut in a blender adding the milk of your choice to the consistency desired. Pour into a sauce pan, add seasoning and bacon. Heat for at least ½ hour to blend the spices. Enjoy!

Farming plays a part in my 1945 historical, Post-War Dreams. Claire’s father
follows the crops, harvesting for money, and drags her around the southwest until she puts her foot down.

Post-War Dreams
Claire’s life is fraught with lost Hollywood dreams, separation from family, an unwanted suitor, and a love she can’t forget.

About Brenda: Brenda and her husband are gypsies at heart having lived in six states and two countries. Currently, they split their time between the Lake Roosevelt basin in Central Arizona and the pines in the north. Wherever Brenda opens her laptop, she spends most of her time writing stories of discovery and love entangled with suspense. http://www.brendawhiteside.com/

No comments: