Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Writer Wednesday - Being Okay with Being Yourself

Life Coaching 
By Vicky DeCoster 
Being Okay with Being Yourself

Most of us probably have felt like we didn’t belong at some point during our lifetime. Whether this event occurs on the playground, at work, or at a party, it can leave us with an unsettling feeling that, whether we realize it or not, often prompts us to question our characteristics, values, and personality traits and then wonder, “Why am I not good enough?” or “What’s wrong with me?” 

Truth be known, research studies have proven that humans are instinctively programmed with a desire to fit in, and will sometimes even alter their behavior in minor ways to do so. We all want to be unconditionally accepted for who we are, and it is our fear of rejection that often drives our need to belong. Yet, sometimes our quest to be accepted is not healthy, especially when that desire causes us to overhaul our entire personalities and become someone we’re not.

It can be exhausting to be a fake version of ourselves.

If you are feeling the need to undergo a major transformation every day to fit into a certain environment, it may be time for you to evaluate whether you are presenting your true self to the world. Here are a few introspective questions that can lead you through the self-evaluation process:

1. Who is my support group, and do they have my back at all times?
2. Is there anyone toxic in my support group who does not want the best for me?
3. Do I need to create boundaries to eliminate toxic influences?
4. Do I feel like I am a square peg trying to fit into a round hole when I am at work?
5. Is there another professional role for me that would be a better fit or is it the culture?
6. If the answer is “no” to the above two questions, what would I like to be doing instead or what kind of culture would better fit my personality and core values?
7. What is my best characteristic?
8. Am I proudly presenting that characteristic to the world every day or am I trying to push it down and being someone I’m not?
9. Who am I really? (List all your characteristics and then circle how many you are currently exhibiting to the world on a daily basis.)
10. What is one thing I can do today that will lead me down a better path to being my true self, everywhere and all the time?

Think of it this way. Chemistry is important in every relationship and in nearly all situation in life. When we feel the right chemistry either with those around us or in any environment, we feel accepted, appreciated, and encouraged to be ourselves. No one can really explain chemistry. It’s a feeling. A nudge. A flutter in the gut. It’s either there or it’s not. Pay attention to the chemistry in your relationships and environments. If it’s not evident, move on.

In the future, if you find you’re acting like someone you’re not the majority of the time, then ask yourself this powerful question: Is this my ideal life, or am I living someone else’s?

Then begin the self-evaluation process. It’s an insightful and extremely important step to ensuring you are being your authentic and unique self, always and forever. It’s really about accepting yourself and all your special qualities, isn’t it? There’s no one else exactly like you. Be yourself, love who you are, and you’ll be a magnet that attracts your best life.

© 2022 Vicky DeCoster All Rights Reserved
Vicky DeCoster is a Certified Life Coach who specializes in helping her clients move past obstacles, create a plan for happiness, and cross the bridge of transition to find a new and fulfilling direction in life. To read more about her and her practice, visit her at http://www.crossthebridgecoaching.com/

No comments: