Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Writer Wednesday - Older Cats Need Love Too!

Kelli's Quill 
By Kelli A. Wilkins
Exploring the Writing/Gardening Connection
June is Adopt-A-Cat month, and as always, I’m advocating adopting cats from shelters and giving them forever homes. (If you’re a dog lover, and not a “cat-person” please read on, because what follows also applies to dogs.) 

Years ago when I adopted my furry children, my husband and I went to a local no-kill shelter. I never expected how it would impact my life and the lives of the cats. 

We didn’t know what kind of cat we were looking for, but I knew I wanted to adopt an older cat because older cats (and some people consider 3+ years “old”) are often overlooked and have a hard time getting adopted. (Why? Because most people want cute and cuddly kittens.) 

I looked at all the cats. They were doing what cats do: eating, sleeping, or playing, and all of them looked content. I wondered: How could I choose two? How would I know which ones to take? What about the ones I didn’t pick? Would they get adopted? 

I didn’t have to wonder long. Ziggy (an orange tiger) fell in love with my husband, and Oliver (a tabby) found me. After looking into Oliver’s green eyes I knew I was meant to take him home. 

I asked the volunteer about the cats’ backgrounds and was surprised to learn Ziggy had been surrendered by his lifetime owner because the woman was moving and couldn’t bring him with her. Oliver had been adopted as a kitten, and was returned. Both were “older” (6 and 3) and considered hard to place because of their ages. 

My heart broke for these fellows, and I couldn’t imagine leaving them behind. Once upon a time they’d had loving homes, but through circumstances that were no fault of their own, they were taken away and placed in a shelter with strangers and lots of other cats. Ziggy and Oliver were with me for 8 1/2 years and lived long and happy lives.

A year later, I started volunteering at the same shelter. It was a good way to be around cats again and I wasn’t planning adopting anyone… until Oakley arrived. 

This 13-year-old gray tiger was also surrendered due to a move. His owner had raised him from a kitten and was forced to give him up. Oakley was extremely friendly and greeted me every time I came to work. All he wanted was attention and someone to scratch him behind the ears. 

Weeks went by and Oakley kept tugging on my heartstrings. (I think he knew exactly what he was doing.) My volunteer shift mate, Lynn, kept telling me how affectionate he was. I kept telling her I hoped someone would adopt him soon. And of course someone did—me. I knew couldn’t take one cat, so I also adopted Clinton. He acted like a kitten, even though he was 6. He wasn’t very social since he had spent his whole life in a shelter. A few volunteers thought I was crazy for adopting these two, but everything turned out fine. Oakley adjusted to life in my house in about 3 minutes, Clinton took about 3 days. 

Cats who have been uprooted (like Oakley and Ziggy) don’t know why they’re being taken away from their home. I think they might wonder: Did they do something wrong? Why doesn’t their human want them anymore? What will happen to them? It can be a very traumatic experience.

And some cats (like Clinton) live their whole lives (if they’re lucky) in a no-kill shelter or rescue. While that’s better than the alternative, I think it’s sad they don’t get a chance to have a happy home life. Cats just want a safe, soft place to sleep and humans to love them. (Would you want to live out the rest of your life in a wire cage?) 

Working at the shelter and adopting older cats has taught me many things, about myself and cats. 

I leaned how much a volunteer can make a difference at a shelter. I wasn’t just there to feed, water, and clean-up after the cats. I made friends with the cats, talked to them, played with them. I treated them as individuals with unique personalities and showed them the love they may never have known. I did what I could to make their lives better. They knew someone cared. 

Working at the shelter strengthened my belief in making a difference at the local level. Yes, we’ve all seen those heartbreaking commercials for national humane groups begging for monthly donations of $19, but how much of the $19 actually goes to the animals? These are businesses, after all, and once administrative costs are accounted for, how do you know your money goes to the abused animals in the commercials? 

This summer, please consider adopting a cat (or a dog—let’s not forget our canine friends!) and saving a life. One easy way to start is by visiting https://www.petfinder.com/cats-and-kittens/ and browsing the cats up for adoption in your local area. 

If you can’t adopt, you can always donate. Shelters are in desperate need of funding these days. Monetary donations pay for vet visits, medications, food and litter, and cleaning supplies. They also have wish lists on Amazon or their own site. Visit your local shelter’s Facebook page or website to learn how you can help. 

And if you do adopt, please consider getting an older cat (or two). Older cats already know the rules of a house. They know how to use the litter box and are more sedate than rambunctious kittens. Odds are you won’t find them climbing your curtains and digging up your plants! 

Of course, older cats/seniors won’t be in our lives for as long as we would like, but they’ve got a lot of love to give and they appreciate having a cozy place to call home for their twilight years. They’ll be grateful for the second chance.

© 2023 Kelli A. Wilkins All Rights Reserved 
 Kelli A. Wilkins is an award-winning author who has published more than 100 short stories, 20+ romance novels, 7 non-fiction books, and 5 horror ebooks. Her romances span many genres and settings, and she likes to scare readers with her horror stories. Visit her website/blog for a full title list and social media links. www.KelliWilkins.com

No comments: