Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Writer Wednesday - Autumn, My Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Kelli's Quill 
with Kelli A. Wilkins 
Autumn, My Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Ahhh, Autumn! Some people love the long hot days of summer, basking in the sunshine and lounging at the beach, pool, or lake. That’s great for them, but me? I prefer Autumn. 

Maybe I love Autumn so much because I was raised in rural upstate New York. As soon as September hit, the Catskill Mountain air turned chilly. It was almost as if the Earth/Nature was breathing a sigh of relief after enduring the sweltering summer months. 

Everywhere I looked I could see nature in full bloom, autumn-style. Most of the summer flowers were gone, but now the maple trees came alive and showed off their brilliant yellow, ruby red, rust, and vibrant orange leaves. This was also the best time of year for everything apple-related: homemade applesauce, apple cider, apple cider doughnuts, apple crisp, candied apples, and caramel apples; with so many varieties of apples to choose from: McIntosh, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Gala, Cortland, Crispin… 

September transitioned us into October and all things Halloween!

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. As a child, I looked forward to decorating for Halloween, and one of the best places to shop was a store called Woolworth’s. It was a five and dime store in its heyday (and has long since gone out of business), but anyone who ever shopped there knows they had the best decorations and Ben Cooper Halloween costumes.

Back then, Halloween wasn’t as commercialized as today. You didn’t find SpongeBob vampires, Mickey Mouse ghosts, tv show or movie tie-ins, and nothing was graphic or gory. The typical decorations featured Frankenstein’s monster, the mummy, Jack O’Lanterns, black cats, owls, and ghosts. 

I still have some of those original decorations, and over the years I’ve acquired an extensive collection of “old school” Halloween decor. I found most of my treasures at garage sales and flea markets, but now there’s a growing market for “vintage” and “mid-century” Halloween. Antique malls and flea markets ask outrageously ridiculous prices for things I’ve collected for a dollar or two.
Since leaving upstate New York I still get outside as much as I can in October. I read a book under a bright blue sky and relish the color changes in my oak and maple trees. I don’t mind raking up the leaves because I get to kick up my feet and wade through the big pile of leaves before I bag them.

My husband and I visit a state park in October and walk the trails, enjoying the crunch of fallen leaves underfoot, and ending the day with apple cider and doughnuts. A few weeks before Halloween, we go to a local farm and buy pumpkins and gourds to put on the porch. At some point, the squirrels run away with the gourds, but that’s okay. Squirrels preparing for winter are another sign of the changing season.

On October first, I decorate the outside of the house with lighted plastic (“vintage”) pumpkins, inflatable black cats, ghosts, and lots of orange lights. I’m known as the “Halloween house” on the street, and that’s just fine with me. Kids have walked past the house and exclaimed, “Look at that house! We have to go trick-or-treating there!” I remember doing that at their age.

We carve our pumpkins the weekend before Halloween. Sometimes our Jack O’Lanterns turn out silly, sometimes scary, but we celebrate their uniqueness and showcase them on our outside wall. I’ll light them (using real votive candles) on Halloween eve, Halloween night, and the night after.

Many of the Halloween traditions I carry on were started by my mother. Every Halloween she would call me and sing “the Halloween song” about five little pumpkins sitting on a gate. She made up treat bags for the kids, and gushed over the younger trick-or-treaters dressed like princesses and pirates.
My mother made sure we had our fill of delicious seasonal treats: frosted sugar cookies shaped like cats, bats, and pumpkins, chocolate cupcakes with orange icing and sprinkles, and of course pumpkin bread and apple cider. I still make those today. 


When I answer the door on Halloween night and see the trick-or-treaters thrilled to be out in costume, free to be whoever they want for one night, their happiness extends to me. I comment on their pretty, funny, or spooky costumes as I hand out the candy. I know I’ve done a good job if lots of kids stopped at the house.

And when the trick-or-treaters are all gone for the night, I sit on the porch for a while, enjoying the quiet. I watch the candles flickering in the Jack O’Lanterns, take in the crisp night air, and gaze at the moon and stars.

I savor this magical night of wonder and excitement, knowing that Halloween will soon be gone for another year… but the memories last forever. Enjoy the season!

© 2023 Kelli A. Wilkins All Rights Reserved
Kelli A. Wilkins is an award-winning author who has published more than 100 short stories, 20+ romance novels, 7 non-fiction books, and 5 horror ebooks. Her romances span many genres and settings, and she likes to scare readers with her horror stories. Visit her website/blog for a full title list and social media links. www.KelliWilkins.com

No comments: