Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Author's Den - The Golden Lady

Joining me in The Author's Den on this beautiful day is Roberta DeCaprio. As the sun shines through the windows of the den on this beautiful summer day, Roberta and I are celebrating her birthday by enjoying a chilled glass of water with a twist of lime and chatting about her book, The Golden Lady.

Roberta, please tell us a little about yourself.
Born in 1950 with a walking disability, I took to reading books for enjoyment, as physical activities were a challenge. Since reading begets writing, I began creating poems, plays, and short stories….thus moving into a novel-writing career. Since 2004, I’ve had 10 books published, worked as a columnist and assistant editor for two national publications dealing with the rights of the disabled, and co-wrote a sit-com with my screen-play writer husband that has recently gained the attention of a local producer. I am a mother of two, grandmother of four, and share my upstate New York home with my spouse and two rescue cats, Mikko and Misha.

What’s your guilty procrastination secret? 
I love television and movies. At the beginning of each week, I take the TV Guide and plan my television viewing, making sure to catch all the good shows, either online or on the tube. It seems, after watching a show and scrutinizing the plot and characters, I am inspired to either continue working on some project in progress or creating something new.

What does your writing space look like? 
My home office is converted from one of the four bedrooms in my home. I have a desk I inherited from a great uncle that my computer sets on, bookcases filled with books by such authors as Diana Gabaldon, Karen Marie Moning, and my muse, the late Kathleen E. Woodiwiss (whose A Rose in Amber inspired my first historical novel, The Golden Lady). Also shelves housing some of my doll collection, a table for my printer, a few filing cabinets, and an artificial fireplace are a part of my writing den. On one of my filing cabinets sits an old Remington typewriter, used by my father, who wrote poems and song lyrics.

What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing? 
Definitely, reading. I also enjoy Native American bead working, listening to classical music and that of the 1950’s & 60’s, giving myself a manicure, and eating chocolate. You never can eat too much chocolate!

What can we look forward to with your upcoming or next writing project?
I’ve decided it’s time I write a historical with a walking impaired heroine...finding her true love and hero against all odds. Back in the day, such people were locked away in attics or rooms, as they were classified a disappointment or a shame to the family. I’d like to break through that stigma with a heartwarming and true-love novel that will last with a reader long after the book ends.

Where can we find you and your books online?
Twitter: www.twitter.com/@robertaauthor
You can find my books on Amazon, Wings Press (www.wings-press.com), The Wild Rose Press (www.thewildrosepress.com), my blog, The Word Merchants Society (www.theworldmerchantssociety.blogspot.com), and my Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/roberta.c.decaprio).

Let's take a peek at, The Golden Lady.
Loving someone is hard...Especially if they're suppose to be your enemy! 

Willow Creek, Arizona saw its share of Indian attacks. Amanda Gregory witnessed the sorrow first hand with her father’s murder. Refusing Reverend Joshua Holmes’ proposal, Amanda decides to stay on her farm and run it alone. When she saves Proud Eagle, a wounded Western Apache warrior, he wins her heart….calling the fair-haired Amanda, his Golden Lady. And Amanda’s hatred of Indians begins to change. The night the Chiricahuas attack her farm and burn it to the ground, Proud Eagle helps her to escape, taking Amanda back to his tribe to become his wife. But their love is forbidden, and Amanda soon finds herself fighting the biggest battle of her life….the right to love her enemy.

No comments: